The Coat of Arms of The Much Hon. Craig Ward of Lundie
Craig is a solicitor, writer and researcher, he has a;
- MSc in applied health research from King’s College London
- BA(Hons) in psychology
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Planners (STEP)
- Accredited member of Solicitors For the Elderly
- CEDR accredited mediator
- Member of the British Psychological Society
- Certificate in Counselling
He has passed an adult teaching (PTLLS) course.
Craig wrote the Law Society’s textbook on Lasting Powers of Attorney, the 4th edition (2019).
This 4th edition provides an update on advising, drafting and registering LPA’s. It also covers the following new topics.
- Business LPA’s, advising clients, drafting and choosing appropriate business attorney’s.
- Health and Welfare Deputy’s applications, how to make one and advise clients on suitable evidence.
- Attorney choice, advising on suitability to potentially reduce the risk of objections and abuse.
- How to make online LPA applications and the issues to draw to clients attention.
- Changes to Commercial legislation affecting Business LPA’s.
- The importance of advising on; the Person with Significant Control (for certain types of Business LPA), the Disclosure and Barring Service (for attorney’s generally); advance decisions and LPA interaction and gender re-assignment matters.
This edition also covers the necessity to consider vulnerable adults and access to legal services for different client groups. Also the developing use of advocates when making and using LPA’s to enhance safeguarding.
Craig’s legal experience
Civil and criminal litigation, mental health review tribunals, mental capacity, the Court of Protection, commercial law, probate, wills and trusts. He mediates on commercial, probate and elderly disputes.
- Lasting Powers of Attorney: A Practical Guide (4th Edition) (2019) The Law Society.
- Powers of Attorney (Lexis Nexis. Volume 31(2) Powers of Attorney (2017).
- Lasting Powers of Attorney: A Practical Guide (3rd Edition) (2016) The Law Society.
- Who Cares (2012) Inspirational Press.
- Lasting Powers of Attorney: A Practical Guide (2nd Edition) (2011) The Law Society.
- Lasting Powers of Attorney: A Practical Guide (2008) The Law Society.
Articles and Podcasts
- Back to basics: Business LPAs. Private Client, 142 February 2020. The Law Society, London.
- GDPR Compliance for Trustees and Executors. PS Magazine. The Law Society. February 2019.
- Mental Capacity; GDPR Compliance. PS Magazine. The Law Society. November 2018.
Attorneys and Deputies as Data Controllers. The Law Society Practice Note May 2018.
- Practice note on Care and Support Needs Assessments. LexisNexis online publications (2017).
Business Lasting Powers of Attorney. Practice Points. Law Society Gazette. 24 July 2017.
In conversation with... Craig Ward on Business LPAs. Podcast. The Law Society July 2017.
Drafting LPA Clauses, Private Client, Issue 128 May 2017.
Practice note on Business Lasting Powers of Attorney. LexisNexis online publications (2016).
The Right to Die: Well, it Depends, Retire and Estate Bulletin Lexis Nexis, Vol 15 No 10, 2013.
Back to Basics: Lasting Powers of Attorney 2012, Private Client, November 2012.
Managing a Resident Transfer, Caring Times, February 2012.
Can Practitioners spot a Client who lacks capacity? Private Client Adviser. Jan 2012 (Vol 17:2).
Opportunities Legal Update weekly publication (from October 2009 to August 2011).
Restraint or Deprivation of Liberty in Disguise? Elderly Client Adviser Mar/Ap 2009 (Vol 14:3).
Taking Flight as a Legal Eagle. The Psychologist. March (2009).
Understanding Information in Lasting Powers of Attorney (September 2013)
Making one or both Lasting Powers of Attorney (September 2012)
Mediation with Vulnerable Adults (October 2012)
Should Solicitors be Assessing Capacity (2011)
Mediation at the Court of Protection (2009)
Training courses run by Craig Ward MSc, for example:
- Drafting Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Business Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Making Deputyship applications
- LPAs and ethics compliance
- Making Health and welfare Deputy applications
- Vulnerable adults and compliance
- Elder mediation
Business LPA training
Craig Ward, Baron of Lundie, solicitor started researching Business LPAs several years ago and devised techniques now used across the England and Wales to create business or commercial lasting powers of attorney. He runs the first course on Business LPAs teaching; solicitors, legal practitioners, accountants and many others the benefits of Business LPAs.